Cancer Survivors Gift Shop

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Worried About Surgery

its been a few days since my last post and for that i apologize. i spoke to my doctor on monday and i have an appointment tomorrow to go over the steps we are going to take with my cancer.
i have been depressed and didn't want that to come out in my blog, so i stayed away. as i said in earlier posts, i am an american living in croatia and right now i am worried about the communication difference, among other things. will i be able to talk to the nurses or doctors in the hospital? will they understand me if something hurts? will i be able to understand them when they tell me of my progress?
it may not seem like a big deal to most, but to me it is.
then there is the recovery period. i have never been pampered and i am guessing that that will not change. though, from what i have read, i will be out of commission for a few weeks. i will have to limit physical activity. problem is, i don't think i can. and if i do, then i will have weeks worth of dishes and cleaning to catch up on. should i pamper myself and play catch-up later, or just ignore doctors orders and go about my normal routine?
what would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessie
I felt the need to comment as I ran across your blog in coffee chat. I went through exactly what you are going through many years ago also in my 30's. I had a total hysterectomy at age 38. After my surgery and the normal recovery process, I never felt better. Doctors today are very aware that most cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus so they are well versed on knowing the best course of treatment. Now that we have easy access to any information we may need, it is easy to be frightened by all the stuff that "can" happen. What you need to remember is that you are taking care of the problem and you need to have a positive outlook. I don't know you and could be totally wrong, but I sense a little bit of depression. Talk to the doctors about what might help with the mood swings as they could be caused by wild swings in hormones. There are also natural remedies that I used. Liquid soy & clover drops have been used by Eastern women for generations and really helped me with the hot flashes. Always speak first with your doctor but there's a good possibility all will be OK.
Best of Luck..Kat